You are, of course, free to use the majority of the bestfairtrade site without providing any information to us. However, to the extent that you or other users do provide or make available any information to us, that information can generally be categorised as either anonymous or personally identifiable. Anonymous information is information that cannot be traced back to a specific individual. Personally identifiable information is information from which you or another individual can be identified. This information can include your name, email, address, postcode, age, etc.
1. Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
bestfairtrade.com collects the details provided by you when you register as a member of bestfairtrade.com or sign up for any of our Services together with any personally identifiable information we learn about you through your use of the Services. For example, we may collect additional personally identifiable information through your participation in any promotions and competitions offered by us.
The security of your personally identifiable information is a priority to us. Unfortunately, no security system, or system of transmitting data over the internet, can be guaranteed to be 100 per cent secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personally identifiable information, we cannot guarantee the security of our servers, the means by which information is transmitted between your computer and our servers, or any information provided to us or to any third party through or in connection with the bestfairtrade Site. You provide all such information at your own risk.
3. Newsletter and Email Communications Subscribers
4. Sensitive Personally Identifiable Information
5. How we use the Personally Identifiable
Information you provide
6. Disclosure of your Personally Identifiable Information
7. Other Websites
A cookie is a text-only string of information that a website transfers to the cookie file of the browser on your computer's hard disk so that the website can remember who you are.
A cookie will typically contain the name of the domain from which the cookie has come, the 'lifetime' of the cookie, and a value, usually a randomly generated unique number.
Two types of cookies are used on this website:
session cookies - temporary cookies that remain in the cookie file of your browser until you leave the site;
persistent cookies - these remain in the cookie file of your browser for much longer (though how long will depend on the lifetime of the specific cookie).
• To allow you to carry information across pages of our site and avoid having to log-in many times.
• Within registration to allow you to access stored information.
• To help us recognise you as a unique visitor (just a number) when you return to our website and to allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match your preferred interests or to avoid showing you the same adverts repeatedly.
• To compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us to understand how users use our site and to help us improve the structure of our website. We cannot identify you personally in this way.
• Within research surveys to ensure you are not invited to complete a questionnaire too often or after you have already done so.
• To store registration information so that if you are a member you only have to re-enter your password (instead of all your registration information) each time you visit the site, and so that the site can recognise you as a member.
We do not pass any personally identifiable information obtained by cookie use to third party advertising companies.
Third parties serve cookies via this site. These are used for the following purposes:
• To serve advertisements on our site and track whether these advertisements are clicked on by users.
• To control how often you are shown a particular advertisement.
• To tailor content to your preferences.
• To count the number of anonymous users of our site.
• To aggregate anonymised information for marketing purposes.
Use of web beacons
Some of our web pages may contain electronic images known as web beacons (sometimes known as clear gifs) that allow us to count users who have visited these pages. Web beacons collect only limited information which including a cookie number, time and date of a page view, and a description of the page on which the web beacon resides. We may also carry web beacons placed by third-party advertisers. These beacons do not carry any personally identifiable information and are only used to track the effectiveness of a particular campaign.
Disabling or enabling cookies
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings in your browser. However, you may not be able to use all the interactive features of our site if cookies are disabled.
9. Bulletin Boards, Chat Rooms and Other Public Forums
Please note that our forums are open to the public and if you choose to disclose personally identifiable information in these areas you are consenting to its unrestricted distribution in a public forum throughout bestfairtrade.com and to and by other bestfairtrade.com members. We therefore cannot be responsible for the protection or security of such information, regardless of its sensitivity. You disclose all such information on our bulletin boards or in our chat rooms or other public forums entirely at your own risk.
10. Third Party Personally Identifiable Information
You must not disclose personally identifiable information relating to any third party on our bulletin boards or in our chat rooms or other public forums or in conjunction with any Service (for example, when using our postcard service) unless you have their express consent to do so.
12. Unsubscribing, Correction and Deletion of Personally Identifiable Information
To unsubscribe altogether from our database, please email email@example.com
When requesting that personally identifiable information be amended or deleted, please keep in mind that there will be residual information that will remain within our databases, access logs and other records, which may or may not contain such personally identifiable information. The residual information will not be used for commercial purposes. However, we may use that information, from time to time, to recontact former members or visitors to the bestfairtrade site in certain limited circumstances - for instance, if required to do so by law.